Elevating Everyone: Empowering Equality-
Women at the top elevate& empower everyone, including men. Throughout this discussion, I will present a compelling case for the profound and far-reaching impact of women in leadership positions. The influence of top women leaders and CEOs extends well beyond gender boundaries, as they champion policies and create work environments that benefit everyone, where everyone including men thrive.
Their leadership style, commitment to gender parity, and the initiatives they undertake serve as catalysts for a more equitable and prosperous workplace.
As a leader and a parent of a son and daughter, I’ve always championed equality, and this principle extended to my role at work. From championing gender diversity in recruitment, establishing crèche facilities, to advocating for equal evaluations, I’ve experienced firsthand how women in leadership positions can create a more balanced and prosperous work environment.
In this blog, I will explore how they impact everyone, including men, drawing from my experience and research.
Elevating Everyone Through Gender Equality:
For me, equality begins at home. I treated my son and daughter with parity, ensuring that they received equal opportunities, access to quality education and exposure to extracurricular activities. This principle extended to my workplace, where I treated every team member like my own child, empowering them by providing equal opportunities, mentorship, and professional growth.
I actively encouraged open dialogue and feedback, ensuring that all team members had a voice in shaping the workplace to better suit their needs.
Supporting Working Mothers and Everyone:
Recognizing that women often face unique challenges as caregivers, I advocated for support systems. I championed the introduction of crèche facility, catering to children of all employees, stressing equal value for both male and female contributions. This provides comfort and peace of mind, allowing mothers to focus on their roles with confidence, creating a win-win for all.
I have also provided WFH facility to a female employee whose child was sick requiring her care, when the same was not in vogue.
Equality in Discipline and Performance:
Equality isn’t about providing special treatment but offering equal opportunities and fair assessments. In my leadership role, discipline and consistent work hours are upheld for everyone. All team members, regardless of gender, are evaluated based on their contributions, attitude, and performance.
My path has been marked by a commitment to equality, compassion, empathy, innovation, inclusion, diversity and fairmindedness.
Impact of Women CEOs on Everyone:
Let us now see transformative power of female leadership benefitting their organizations, men and women alike. Though examples are from Indian scenarios this is valid for women leaders in the global space too, who bring a wealth of benefits to their organizations such as:
- Diverse Perspectives Foster Innovation:
- Diverse viewpoints drive innovation and creative problem-solving.
- Indra Nooyi, the former CEO of PepsiCo, diversified product offerings by promoting healthier choices. Her innovative thinking led to new opportunities for everyone.
- Role Models Inspire All Genders:
- Women in leadership roles shatter stereotypes, motivating women and men to pursue leadership positions.
- Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, the founder of Biocon, is a role model who broke barriers in the male-dominated biotech industry, inspiring both women and men to pursue leadership roles.
- Improved Organizational Culture:
- Prioritizing inclusivity creates positive work environment which benefits all employees, leading to higher employee satisfaction, improved teamwork, and better communication.
- Roshni Nadar Malhotra, the Chairperson of HCL Corporation, promotes diversity and inclusion, fostering a positive work culture for all employees.
- Enhanced Financial Performance:
- Companies led by women CEOs tend to perform better financially, providing job security and financial well-being for all.
- Few notable CEOs of major banks who have achieved significant success: Arundhati Bhattacharya – SBI, Naina Lal Kidwai – HSBC India, Shikha Sharma – Axis Bank, Mallika Srinivasan – Punjab National Bank.
- They have demonstrated exceptional leadership and strategic vision in the male-dominated banking industry, and have played a vital role in shaping the Indian financial landscape benefitting women and men alike.
- Empathy and Emotional Intelligence:
- Women leaders often exhibit higher levels of empathy and emotional intelligence, positively impacting employee relations and communication, fostering a harmonious work environment.
- Arundhati Bhattacharya, the former Chairperson of SBI, was known for her empathetic leadership, improving employee relations and communication.
- Breaking Stereotypes Encourages Diversity:
- Women at the top challenge traditional gender roles, (encouraging men to embrace qualities associated with femininity too) creating a more equitable workplace.
- Falguni Nayar, the founder of Nykaa, has disrupted stereotypes in the beauty industry, encouraging a more diverse and accepting workplace.
- Consumer Perception and Brand Loyalty:
- Companies led by women are perceived as more socially responsible and ethical, driving brand loyalty and financial success.
- Ritu Kumar, a prominent fashion designer and entrepreneur, has created a brand known for its ethical and sustainable practices, attracting loyal customers and financial success.
- Equal Pay and Fair Treatment:
- Female leaders champion equal pay and fair treatment, ensuring gender-neutral policies and practices.
- Naina Lal Kidwai, the most respected figure in the Indian banking and finance industry actively advocated for equal pay, gender equality and fairness in the workplace. She consistently spoke about the importance of gender-neutral policies and practices, within the corporate world which have contributed to a broader awareness of gender equality issues in India’s business and corporate.
- Inclusive Leadership Development:
- Leadership programs benefit employees of all genders, promoting career growth and skill development.
- Inclusive Leadership Development:
- Nisaba Godrej, the C&MD of Godrej Consumer Products, established mentorship programs that benefitted employees of all genders.
- Corporate Social Responsibility and Community Impact:
- Women CEOs lead corporate social responsibility initiatives with positive societal impacts.
- Anu Aga, the former Chairperson of Thermax, has been at the forefront of CSR initiatives, positively impacting employees and the broader community.
The evidence is overwhelming: women at the top elevate everyone, including men. Their leadership fosters fairness, equal opportunity, and collaboration, benefiting all employees.
Empowering women in the workplace isn’t about special treatment but providing equal opportunities and assessments. Equality isn’t just a buzzword; it’s a blueprint for success. It’s a journey that builds a dynamic, balanced, and forward-looking workplace, benefiting everyone involved.
My journey, both personally and professionally, also underscored the importance of women’s empowerment.
When women rise, the organization thrives, elevating both men and women, creating a more inclusive, equitable, and prosperous world.
I AM Gita Ramachandran founder of Gita’s Gyan Academy , and I am on a mission to empower 10,000 young professionals, helping them to realize their dreams, achieve their goals, and attain leadership positions.
As a Life Transformation Strategist I provide, “One on One Coaching” with requisite tools and techniques to gain clarity of ones deeper desires, dreams, goals, and purpose, and help one Design and Drive their Destiny in any area of their life
My Community on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/867463021542533/
My School or Academy https://academy.gitaramachandran.com/
Gita’s Gyan Academy Portal https://learn.gitaramachandran.com/
My Branded Website https://gitaramachandran.com/
Link to this article on Medium